|Online Courses: $300-$700||Technical School: $700-$1,400|
Phlebotomy is the surgical puncturing of a vein to collect and draw blood. Phlebotomists are trained to draw blood causing as little pain to the patient as possible, Phlebotomy training to lead to positions in hospitals, clinics and laboratories. Training courses can take from two days up to four months.
What should be included:
- Phlebotomy training is available online through multiple venues and typically costs $300-$700. While online training offers the advantage of taking classes on a variable schedule, most online schools recommend hands-on training in addition to the online coursework. For example, Phlebotomy Services offers online training for $300. Family Health Services Training Center offers basic and advanced courses online for $373 apiece or $677 for both.
- Phlebotomy technician training at a technical school or facility costs $700-$1,400. Medtech , which has 10 locations in the Midwest and Southeast, charges $825 for phlebotomy training courses which includes books and lab fees. The American Society for Phlebotomy Technicians offers a training course for $800, but participants must also purchase membership to the association for $35 and a textbook for $40.
- Some technical colleges offer phlebotomy coursework as part of a larger medical assisting program. Heald College's medical assistant program in California, Oregon and Hawaii costs $29,400 for six quarters of coursework, one of which focuses on phlebotomy. Financial aid options are available for degree-based programs.
- In phlebotomy training, students learn how to draw blood and interact with patients. Coursework should include introductions to anatomy and physiology. Students should learn the handling and controlling of hazardous materials such as blood samples. Coursework should also cover extracting blood, collecting blood, recording and maintaining blood samples, and identifying veins and arteries. Education Portal explains training and certification requirements .
- Students should receive both classroom instruction and hands-on experience extracting blood from live test subjects.
- The American Phlebotomy Association outlines qualifications necessary for certification . The American Society for Clinical Pathology explains various pathways to becoming a phlebotomy technician.
- Several agencies provide national certification. Certification typically costs $80-$150. National certification through the National Phlebotomy Association costs $130.
- Certification is a requirement in Louisiana and California , and Nevada requires medical assistants to have phlebotomy certification. In addition to state regulations, most employers look to hire certified professionals. National certification must be renewed annually.
- Once certified, phlebotomy technicians will need continuing education to maintain certification. Continuing education courses are available online for $50-$75. Universal Class offers continuing education credits for phlebotomy for $75, including the certificate of completion.
- Students may want or need to purchase phlebotomy training kits. These kits typically cost from $100-$500. A practice injection arm is available at 3B Scientific for $489. Purchasing practice veins costs about $136.
Shopping for phlebotomy training:
- Medtech offers a $100 tuition discount to students who pay in full by the first day of class.
- Regional Occupation Programs (ROP), offered through individual counties in California, often provides training programs for people who are recipients of state aid for free or low-cost. Phlebotomy is frequently one of the programs available. San Diego County has two ROP phlebotomy training programs .
- For degree-based programs, such as those at junior or community colleges, financial aid is available to qualified students. Students can apply for federal financial aid online.
- The Center for Phlebotomy Education can help students find a suitable school in their area.
- The National Center for Competency Testing has a practice test for students seeking phlebotomy certification.
- Look for schools that are accredited. National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences provides tips for finding a program to fit a student's needs.
Forgotten Expenses In a Home Addition Budget
Items like construction costs, permit fees or debris removal aren't the only expenses to consider when calculating the total costs of a home remodeling project. || Posted August 5 2013
Girl Scout Cookies Marijuana Selling for $5,000 a Pound
Would you like to smoke some Peyton Manning? Or, would you prefer to spark up some Girl Scout Cookies?Marijuana growers and venders are getting creative with the highly recognizable names they give different strains of weed, without the permission o. || Posted October 18 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Schools & Job Training Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com